- Local News
Gainesville Independent School District honored its Special Olympics team members during this week' school board meeting. The students include Ivan Mendez, Morgan Vondrak, Yessenia Martinez, Jonathan Tessnear and Ramon Cruz. Coaches pictured include GISD Special Education director Kim Otto, William Hendricks, Khara Meyers, Randy Firth, Maria Nova and Stella Tessnear. At the regional meet in Arlington April 11-12, students won individual and team medals with some heading for state in May.
GISD honors Special Olympics team
It was an action-packed night at the Gainesville Independent School District (GISD) board meeting Monday with much recognition for accomplishments and honors leading off the evening.
- NCTC regents vote for new ag building
- NCTC Equine hosts horse judging competition
- Egg hunting at Frank Buck Zoo
- Courthouse ribbons stand to serve as reminder
- GISD honors Special Olympics team
- Local Sports
Leopards' comeback falls short on Senior Night
The Gainesville baseball team staged a late rally to make things close, but fell just short in its regular season finale against Bridgeport Friday at the new GHS baseball field.
- Era tennis teams sweep district tournament titles
- GHS overwhelmed by Decatur in home defeat
- Lady Leopards suffer first district loss, fall short against Lady Eagles
- Leopards hang tough, but fall to Bobcats in playoff opener
- Leopards' comeback falls short on Senior Night
Spooky, a Vietnam era Douglas AC-47 gunship, touches down at Gainesville Municipal Airport to join in the annual Medal of Honor Host City activities.
Spooky saved many lives
Vietnam veterans remember the Douglas AC-47 gunship Spooky and when they do, they often thank the plane for their lives.
The airplane’s primary function was for close air support for ground troops during episodes of heavy enemy fire.
A restored AC-47 gunship will be on display to the public April 11 and 12 at the Gainesville Municipal Airport. The plane arrived March 31 and scheduled plans include a flyover during the April 12 Medal of Honor Host City parade on California Street.
- Cooke County United Way purchases Colton building
- Gainesville Fire-Rescue goes Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Acclaimed granite sculptor to teach workshop
- Depot Days event a highlight of National 4-H Week festivities
- Spooky saved many lives
- Gainesville Pride
In the photo above, Dr. Matthew Bayne and his staff stand outside Family Dental Care of Gainesville.
Family Dental Care of Gainesville patients maintain healthy smiles
When he was a boy in Vancouver, Wash., Gainesville’s Dr. Matthew Bayne, DDS actually enjoyed going to his own childhood dentist who eventually influenced him to pursue his own career in Dentistry.
“Even though I originally had a dream of becoming an astronaut, Dr. Stryker was always happy and seemed to have the best job ever,” Dr. Bayne said.
- Bezner Insurance focuses on community
- Dr. White, of Gainesville Clinic, strives to meet community medical needs
- DEF Recycling serves city as part of growing industry
- TSO a dominant force in local optometry
- Family Dental Care of Gainesville patients maintain healthy smiles