Special to the Register
Gainesville Daily Register
More than a dozen artists will exhibit their work throughout downtown Gainesville during the Art Walk from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday.
The following are a few of the locations and artists slated to exhibit their work.
Stop in for some unique works of art and great shopping at
• Amelia’s Attic exhibiting, Carol Henry & Marie D Vans Arsdale,
• Anana’s exhibiting, Terry Karloff & Detha Watson,
• Cahoots exhibiting, Paige Davidson, Justine Woolston, Eddie Hadlock & Susie Holaman,
• Filly Kisses exhibiting Equine Art,
• Gene’s Photo exhibiting, Gene Brown & Cathy Brown,
• Kinne’s Jewelers exhibiting, Jamie Davis, Carmen Aberasturi & Sue Scofield,
• Mojo Dojo exhibiting, Tim Trail,
• Morton Museum exhibiting, Retha Bond,
• Otts’ Home Furnishings exhibiting, Tony Avila, Earl & Sylvia Devers, Crystal Salisbury, Oscar Gutierrez,
• Passtime Fabrics exhibiting, Judy Akins,
• The B Hive exhibiting Cassie Barbosa &Jeanne Cacace and
• Wiese’s exhibiting, Stacie Bezner Waugh, Katelyn Neu and Lana Wiese.
Here is some information on some of the artists who plan to participate in the Art Walk.
Anana’s-Detha Watson was born in New Mexico and has been painting professionally for thirty years. She works with both oil painting and bronze. She has a particular affinity for portraiture. She prefers to do her own photography whenever possible; visiting her subject’s home enables her to suggest the approach she feels will best reflect the individual. For her process of painting, whether a character study, wildlife or portrait, is an intimate act of love involving herself the subject and the painting. In the final result she wants a painting that will portray the inner as well as the outer beauty she perceives in her subject.
Terry Karloff is an Americana/Oddities’ Photographer who has made a significant contribution to the art society in Denton, Texas. After twenty plus years as a registered nurse she found it very necessary to reinvent herself. She knew there was something about that first Brownie camera she got for Christmas in 19645 that stayed with her throughout her life, so she chose to explore her love of photography. She has been showing at Oxide Gallery in Denton since it opened in 2008. She is a member and has shown in the galleries of Visual Art Society of Texas and Visual Art Coalition of Dallas. Terry has been featured in the Denton 380 Guide Magazine.
Gene’s Photos - For over 40 years Gene Brown has had his studio in Gainesville, Texas. He has photographed people from, Phyllis George, a former Miss America to John Wayne. His latest works show his skills with digital photography. His work has been published in numerous books and magazines and he has won numerous photography awards, including the coveted Texas College Newspaper award.
Cathy Brown is a local folk artist who has been painting for over 30 years. She has experimented with a variety of mediums including oils, acrylics and most recently, water colors. Cathy produces and teaches a weekly television program, Time With God, which airs in parts of India, the UK and Canada. During the program she teaches a scripture lesson and follows with a five minute children’s story. She paints a related piece of primitive style art as she narrates the short story. This has resulted in the some of the art that will be on display. She purposely keeps this art form simple and semi-dimensional and hopes that by making it appear relatively simple, it will encourage others to paint as well.