Special to the Register
The Gainesville High School academic team competed at the Byron Nelson High School Invitational on Saturday. Gainesville High School was the smallest school out of a field full of 4 and 5A schools including Ennis, Colleyville and Grapevine High.
“There were a lot of larger schools there,” District UIL Coordinator Craig Hertel said. “I was very pleased with our results. I told the kids to relax and just focus on getting good scores.”
The GHS debate team will be back in action this weekend at Paris North Lamar High School.
The 9-3A debate tournament is set for Jan. 30 at the First Baptist Church of Gainesville.
The District UIL meet will be held later this spring.
The following is a list of UIL contests and Gainesville High School place winners.
• Lincoln-Douglas Debate —Jordan Moore, fourth place.
• Cross-Examination Debate — Carson Markle/Ty Hayes, fourth place.
• Calculator — Alex Huerta, third place.
• Headline writing — Hannah Gerken, fourth place.
• Science — Conner Kennedy, fifth place.
• Top Biology, Conner Kennedy, first place.
• Social Studies, Alex Huerta, third place.