Valley View —
VALLEY VIEW — A Valley View woman escaped her burning mobile home with little more than than her pet dog Wednesday morning.
Homeowner Jerry Stell said he was at work when a fire broke out in the Ritchey Road home he shares with his wife Crystal Stell.
Stell scooped up her dog and headed to her father-in-law’s home to call for assistance, Stell said, adding that his wife didn’t event have time to pick up her cell phone.Several area fire departments responded to the blaze.
On scene were Era Volunteer Fire Department, North Shore Volunteer Fire Department, Sanger Volunteer Fire Department, Valley View Volunteer Department and Indian Creek Volunteer Fire Department along with Cooke County Emergency Medical Services.
The Stells lost most of their possessions in the fire.
“We lost everything but are lucky that we are okay,” Jerry Stell said. “ That’s what we have to remember now.”
Cook County Fire Marshall Ray Fletcher said, “It appears the fire started in a back room on the east side of the house. A candle left burning was the probable cause.”
Area residents gathered near the home to offer assistance.