Today’s Gainesville City Council meeting includes a public hearing on a Gainesville Economic Development Corporation (GEDC) petition to annex 143 acres of land into city limits.
The meeting is set for 6 p.m. at Gainesville Municipal Building, 200 S. Rusk St.
The acreage involved in the annex — recently purchased for $593,602 with surplus sales tax revenue funds — is located less than a mile from Gainesville Factory Shops.
“It’s west of the railroad tracks that are west of the outlet mall,” said GEDC Executive Director Kent Sharp, explaining that the land has been earmarked for an industrial park. “We’re always in talks with manufacturing companies.”
Sharp said the city needed more land to be able to arrange deals with incoming manufacturers. But if the annex is approved, it will inevitably become home to new employers.
“We have no contract with any company to establish on that property, only prospects,” he said, adding that he couldn’t release the names of those prospects.
Also on today’s meeting agenda:
• Council will consider a resolution authorizing expenditures for purchase of one 2014 AutoCar ACX64 cab and chassis and one 2014 Scorpion ASL 30-cubic-yard body automated side load for the city’s solid waste division.
• Council will consider awarding bid no. 2013-12 for the sale of 13.169 acres at Moss Lake.
• Council will consider a resolution awarding bid no. 2013-13 for the sale of 2.6274 acres at Moss Lake.
• Council will consider a resolution approving selection of engineering services for wastewater treatment plant improvements.
• Council will consider a resolution awarding bid no. 2013-11 for the re-roof project for the Gainesville Civic Center.
• Council will allow a public hearing on an ordinance to rezone 9.14 acres in the B.F. Carpenter Survey, Abstract 228, located at 401 S. Weaver St. from general commercial (C-2) to the status of high-density multifamily residential (MF-2).
• Council will consider the first reading of an ordinance amending ordinance 1219-12-2008, the city zoning ordinance of the city of Gainesville authorizing the city of Gainesville to rezone from the status of “general commercial” (C-2) to “high-density multifamily residential” (MF-2) for 9.14 acres in the B.F. Carpenter Survey Abstract 228.
• Council will consider a resolution authorizing a lease agreement with PNC Equipment Finance LLC for 25 golf carts as awarded by Bid No. 2013-10.
• Council will consider an ordinance approving and adopting rate schedule “RRM – Rate Review Mechanism” for Atmos Energy Corporation, Mid-Tex Division, to be in force in the city for a period of time as specified in the rate schedule; adopting a savings clause; determining that this ordinance was passed in accordance with the requirement of the Texas Open Meetings Act; declaring an effective date; and requiring delivery of this ordinance to the company and ACSC legal counsel.