Special to the Register
Gainesville High School took second place at the Azle Math and Science meet Saturday. Gainesville was in competition with several Fort Worth Independent School District schools at the Azle meet.
GHS took first place as a team in science. Team members were Shannon Walker, first place; Tate Watkins, second place; Anna Beall, third place, Priyanka Bhatka, fourth place and Alex Goines, sixth place.
Sophomore Danny Yang was awarded first place in his respective classification and the second place winner was Michael Garcia. Rounding out the GHS Science team was junior Conner Kennedy, first place, and junior Alex Huerta who finished in second place. GHS earned second place team finishes in all other subjects including Computer Science, Number Sense, Calculator and Mathematics.
“It’s great to bring home so many trophies,” District UIL coordinator Craig Hertel said. “ These kids have been working hard and deserve it. I think they’re excited to see they can have awesome results.”
The following are the results for Gainesville High School students who participated in the competition:
• Computer science — Danny Yang, fifth place; second place team.
• Number sense — Priyanka Bhakta, second place; Tate Watkins, third place, Danny Yang, first place; Alex Huerta, first place. The number sense team won second place overall.
• Calculator — Shannon Walk, second place; Tate Watkins, third place; Danny Yang, first place; Alex Huerta, second place. The calculator team took second place overall.
• Mathematics — Tate Watkins, second place; Danny Yang, first place, Alex Huerta, second place. The mathematics team finished in second place.
• Science — Shannon Walk, first place; Tate Watkins, second place, Anna Beall, third place; Priyanka Bhakta, fourth place. The science team finished in first place overall.