Special to the Register
Gainesville Daily Register
Thackerville, Okla. — First Baptist Church, Thackerville, Okla. will celebrate the church’s 125th anniversary on Sunday, Nov 4.
First Baptist Church was organized by Bros. D.D. Mullins and Hathman on November 30, 1887. The church property was purchased from the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations for $15.
The original church was a white frame building. The first school in Thackerville was held in the church until a school was built in 1908. The white frame building was torn down in 1944 and a brick building was built on the same spot. The brick came from the state penitentiary.
The current auditorium was built in 1957 and the church bought a new parsonage in 1990. In 1998 and addition of almost five acres adjoining the property to the south was purchased. The church broke ground on this property in 2010 to construct a fellowship hall and classrooms. The building was dedicated earlier this year.
The anniversary celebration will begin with Sunday school at 10 a.m. followed by an anniversary service at 10:45 a.m. Speakers will be Eli Sheldon from the Oklahoma Baptist Historical Commission and Society, Robert Wilson, Director of Missions and John Kinman, pastor. A fellowship dinner will follow the service. All present and past members are invited.