Lindsay Independent School District administrators approved a hire, a resignation and a school zone traffic resolution during Monday’s regular meeting.
The board approved a one-year probationary teaching contract to Jennifer Bayer for the elementary art/music and secondary fine arts position. Also during the meeting, Superintendent Nora Curry announced that per local board policy, she accepted the resignation of Sami Womack.
And the board approved a resolution regarding hazardous traffic conditions. The board is required to annually adopt a resolution describing the hazardous conditions and areas that students live which are within two miles of Lindsay ISD. The district provides transportation for these students and requests and receives funding to transport them to and from school. The designated hazardous transportation zones approved were streets east of FM 3108 (Hickory Street) including Henry Street, Katy Street, Sycamore Street and County Road 303; streets north of Highway 82 in Nortman Estates, including Nortman Drive, Gieb Street, Walter Street and Hermes Drive; County Road 466 off of FM 1199 and any homes on FM 1199, north of Highway 82.
Other meeting highlights:
• Board President Tommy Haverkamp presented certificates of recognition to students in baseball, softball, track, tennis, golf, UIL academics, TMSCA, FFA and FCCLA.
• Superintendent Nora Curry reported that summer maintenance work is continuing district wide including waxing of floors, painting, locker refurbishing in the 4–6 building and update/repair of the fire alarm system. Curry also reported that the property platting is in progress.
• The board approved the final amended 2012–13 budget and the 2013-14 budget for general funds, food service funds and debt service funds.
• The board set the 2013–14 tax rate hearing for 7 p.m. Aug. 19, with a proposed tax rate of $1.04 for maintenance and operations and $.037 for interest and sinking.
• The board approved the 2013–14 renewal for worker’s compensation with Claims Administrative Services, Inc.
• The board approved contracting with Becky Decker for NCLB Compliance for the 2013 –14 year.
• The board approved increasing lunch and breakfast meals by 5 cents at all levels. New prices will be: K-5 breakfast $1.30, lunch $2.30; 6–12 breakfast $1.55, lunch $2.55. Teachers/staff/guests $1.80 for breakfast, $3.05 for lunch.
• The board approved the agreement to purchase attendance credits for the 2012–13 year. In order for the district to reduce its wealth per weighted student to a level that isn’t greater than the equalized wealth level as determined by the Commissioner of Education, it must enter into an agreement with the Texas Education Agency to purchase attendance credits.
• The board changed the date of the July monthly meeting to 7 p.m. Monday, July 8.