Gainesville City Council’s most recently appointed member takes an official oath of office during today’s regular meeting.
The meeting is set for 6:30 p.m. at the municipal building, 200 S. Rusk St. in Gainesville. Municipal Judge Chris Cypert will administer the oath to incoming member Mary Jo Dollar and she will oversee the city’s Ward 6 in place of exited council member Vince Rippy — who resigned in June following a residential move from the ward, his area of jurisdiction.
Other meeting highlights:
• Council members will consider a resolution approving actions of the Gainesville Economic Development Corporation (GEDC), which recently approved truck accessory manufacturer Valew as an economic development project. The resolution provides an incentive of $350,000, which includes the transfer of 15 acres in the new industrial park at no cost to Valew (a $150,000 value) and an additional incentive of $5,000 per eligible employee (for up to 40 employees), which will not exceed $200,000 for employee cash incentives.
• Mayor Jim Goldsworthy will recognize the “Employee of the Month” for August.
• The Government Finance Officers Association’s “Distinguished Budget Award” will be presented to Gainesville officials in recognition of the city’s management of the fiscal year 2012 budget.
• Council members will consider a resolution of the city council granting permission to the North Texas Medical Center Foundation, Inc. for use of the Gainesville Municipal Airport on Sept. 13, through Sept. 15, for use during the foundation’s “Sky’s the Limit” balloon festival. The resolution also allows alcohol sales during the event.
• Council members will consider a resolution approving actions of the GEDC, which approved an economic development incentive for the Texas Juvenile Justice Department for relocation assistance for up to 30 employees who are transferring to the Gainesville State School.
• Council members will consider a resolution approving the sale of alcohol in the 100 and 200 blocks of Commerce Street (by members of the City of Gainesville Main Street Program) during Depot Days on Oct. 11, 12 and 13.