By Keith MacPherson, Register Sports Editor
Gainesville Daily Register
Gainesville vs. Kilgore
Region II-3A Division I Final
Forney’s City Bank Stadium
7:30 p.m. Today
Radio: 1580-AM KGAF
• Gainesville (12-0): The Leopards rolled past Princeton 40-14 last week in the area playoffs. ... Junior running back Jonathan Mendez ran for two touchdowns and 111 yards in last week’s win. His two scores upped his touchdown total to 10 on the season. ... Running back Adam Berryman passed Callisburg’s Clay McKenzie last week for most rushing touchdowns in Cooke County with 25 on the year.
• Kilgore (11-1): The Bulldogs took down Paris 41-14 in the area playoffs last week. ... Quarterback Cooper Coldiron threw for two touchdowns and had one rushing as Kilgore would pile up 390 yards of total offense against Paris. ... Kilgore ended the season ranked No. 4 and went four rounds deep in the Class 4A playoffs a year ago.
• Quick kick: The winner of tonight’s game will face the winner of Abilene Wylie and Stephenville in the Class 3A state semifinal next week.
Lindsay vs. Goldthwaite
Region II-1A Division I Semifinal
Mineral Wells Stadium
7:30 p.m. Friday
• Lindsay (9-2): The Knights beat Cayuga 41-21 last week in the area playoffs. ... Running back Blake Walker had 147 yards rushing and two touchdowns in the win last week. ... The Knights have been stopped at this point in the playoffs the last two years by rival Muenster, who is now in Division II.
• Goldthwaite (6-5): The Eagles blew past Wolfe City 51-7 last week. ... Goldthwaite had four players run for more than 100 yards in last week’s win. ... Running back Joseph Paddock ran for 153 yards on 11 carries in the win. ... Don’t let the Eagles’ record fool you. Three of their five losses came in the first four weeks of the season. Goldthwaite has gone 5-2 since.
• Quick kick: The winner of tonight’s game will face either Italy or Honey Grove in the Region II-1A final.
Muenster vs. Albany
Region II-1A Division II Semifinal
Springtown ISD Stadium
7:30 p.m. Friday
• Muenster (9-3): The Hornets rolled past McCamey 39-12 in last week’s playoff game. ... Running back Trevor Hess had 140 yards on 13 carries and two touchdowns in last week’s win. Mason Binder had 89 yards on five carries. ... The Hornets have advanced past this round each of the past two seasons.
• Albany (10-1): The Lions knocked off Iraan 49-25 in last week’s playoff matchup. ... Running back Ryan Pleasant ran for 159 yards on 24 carries and a touchdown in last week’s win. He also had an 86 yard kickoff return for a touchdown. ... Quarterback Jake Bumguardner ran for 143 yards against Iraan.
• Quick kick: The winner of tonight’s game will face the winner of Munday and Hamlin in the regional final next week.