Adopting a pet can be like finding someone to love, Noah’s Ark shelter director Kirsten Cox said.
“People come in with the idea they want a certain kind of pet and when they meet the right one it isn’t anything like they’d expected.”
Cox hopes lots of residents meet their perfect match this week during a special half price adoption event at the shelter.
The special prices are in effect from now until 5 p.m. Monday.
The effort to find homes for Noah’s Ark pets comes at a time when the shelter is operating at near capacity, board member Frank Mahnich noted.
“The shelter is overfull,” Mahnich said, “And we are offering discounts on adoptions.”
Cox said Noah’s Ark is experiencing an increase in the number of animals at the shelter.
“We’ve just had kind of a huge surge in our intakes and a lull in adoptions,” she said.
To help clear the shelter, Noah’s Ark has lowered its adoption fees.
Dogs are $50. Cats are $25 and barn cats are $12, she said.
All adopted animals — even cats destined for barns — receive a veterinary evaluation, spay or neuter, vaccinations and a microchip, she said.
She said the shelter is under new management and is “a bright, bright place.”
She also said the shelter works hard to find homes for all adoptable pets.
“We’re not in any danger of euthanizing anything,” she said.
For information on Noah’s Ark and the animals in its care visit http://www.noahsarktx.com/.
October is designated “Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog” month. For those who want to help but cannot adopt a pet, petfinder.com has provided the following alternatives:
• Donate your Facebook status. Just paste this message into the “What’s on your mind?” box at the top of your page: “October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Save a life: Adopt a dog! https://www.petfinder.com”
• Tweet, retweet and repeat the following (or your own brilliant message): “October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Save a life: Adopt a dog!https://www.petfinder.com #savedogs”
• Contact your local shelter or rescue group (you can search for groups near you here) and ask if they have a donation wish list or other flyer they’d like to you to post around your office or neighborhood. They may be holding special events for Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month which you can help promote.
• Share an adoptable dog or a Petfinder dog-adoption Happy Tail on your blog, Facebook or Twitter (hashtag #savedogs) page each day of the month.
• Sign up as a foster parent or shelter volunteer then tell your friends how great it is. Contact your local shelter or rescue group to find out how you can help.
• Add a Petfinder widget or banner to your Web site or blog.
• Write an op-ed about the importance of pet adoption for your local paper.
• Contact your local shelter or rescue group and offer to photograph their adoptable pets and upload the pics to Petfinder.
• Donate to your local shelter or rescue group or to the Petfinder.com Foundation in honor of Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month.
• Pass on an understanding of the importance of pet adoption to the next generation. Talk to your kids, nieces, nephews, grandchildren and other up-and-comers about animal shelters and why Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month, and pet adoption in general, is important.