By JIM OTTS
ERA — In a game of spurts, the Era Lady Hornets saved the best for last to twice overcome the Valley View Lady Eagles and claim a 46-40 tournament victory.
Valley View climbed ahead early with inside work by Taylor Dowd and Ariel Hernandez giving the visitors an 11-2 advantage.
The Lady Hornets fought back to deadlock the battle 13-13 at the end of the first quarter and took the lead 15-13 at the beginning of the second stanza. It was Era’s first lead but did not last long as the hosts did not score again in the period and trailed 15-25 at intermission.
The tide turned late in the third when Era’s Hannah Weber hit the game’s first three-pointer. Driving lay-ups by Leah Doughty and Cheree Kiser followed and brought the Lady Hornets to within eight, 25-33 as the final frame began.
Kiser scored three buckets and a pair of three throws, Shae Knabe added a lay-up and the Lady Eagles were limited to one free throw from Dowd and another from Hernandez.
Once the Lady Hornets got the lead, Kiser dribbled while Valley View chased.
After using much of the clock, Kiser passed to Knabe and she added a pair of three-pointers to put the game out of reach.
Era advances to play Alvord Friday at 6:30 p.m., in the winner’s bracket while Valley View was to play First Baptist Academy at 12:30 p.m. in a consolation bracket game.
Alvord defeated Sadler-Southmayd 70-41 to gain its spot in the Friday night bout.
By JIM OTTS
This Week's Circulars
Larry Ancil West went to his heavenly home September 24, 2020 following a short stay in Medical City Lewisville. He was born October 9, 1958 in Gainesville, Texas to Lucian Ancil (L.A.) West and Helen Ritcherson Sears West. He attended school in both Thackerville, Oklahoma and Gainesville, T…
- Valley View ISD reports coronavirus case
- GPD: Robbery investigation underway
- Commissioners eye Kress building
- 2nd OB/GYN joins clinic staff
- Patrol on the clock: GPD using less overtime this year, while CCSO use is up
- Nursing home holds off on visits
- Callisburg uses trickery in final minutes to pull out 15-14 win over Honey Grove
- New kicker Martie McCoy highlights Muenster's 63-0 win over Electra
- Open forum: League of Women Voters hosts candidates for state, federal office
- DPS extends Saturday appointments for driver license renewals